Built in the 13th century by the Frankish Baron of Karytaina, the castle sits in the village of Theisoa and along with a few others it was used to control the surrounding area. It was built on an altitude of 586 metres, on the ruins of the acropolis of ancient Theisoa. The Baron didn't destroy the original walling, instead repairing it and reinforcing it with towers and other fortifications. The church of Agia Eleni was also built inside the castle. In 1301, Constantine Palaiologos of the Despotate of the Morea destroyed the castle.
Today, it is ruined and abandoned, though the ruins of a small church still remain, as do columns and capitals of the ancient structure. The walls, part of the interior acropolis, are better preserved, as are the walls of the enclosure.
Access to the castle is difficult.