Kefalovryso is situated at an altitude of 600m with 250 residents. In the past it used to be called Chalvatso, however, in 1956 it took its present name. The village is 44km from Kalamata and 33km from Messini. Kefalovryso was built between two mountain sides and as a result it was always protected from conquerors.
The metropolitan church of the village is dedicated to Panagia (Holy Mary) and it was built in 1700. Other important churches are: the church of Agios Ioannis (St. Ioannis), which is an old byzantine church of the 18th century that was once a nunnery, the church of Agios Nikolaos (St. Nikolaos) built upon the spring of Kefalovryso, the church of Agios Spyridon (St. Spyridon), the church of Agia Kyriaki (St. Kyriaki), the church of Agios Georgios (St. Georgios) and the church of Metamorphosi tou Sotiros (Transfiguration of Christ). [paragraph] Thanks to the nearby spring, the village is full of founts with potable water. During the last years, the forest started expanding and this contributed to the natural beauty of the village, which offers a spectacular view of the surrounding area full of vegetation and running waters.