Peloponnisos SearchDESTINATIONS FOR EVERY TRAVELER

Mapsos

COUNTY: Corinthia MUNICIPALITY: Corinth

Clouds
17ºC

Population

100 - 500

Distance from nearest city

10-35km

TL;DR

A village in the Corinthian region, with many churches and chapels.

The village of Mapsos is located at an altitude of 449 meters above sea level, and it is built on the mountain of Palaiokorachi. It is speculated that its name originates from the name of the ancient town “Mafsos”, which was located in the area during ancient times. Its 180 (approximately) residents are mainly occupied with agriculture. The monastery of 'Agios Nikolaos En Vounenis of Mapsos' (“Saint Nikolaos of the mountain of Mapsos”) is located near the village, and it operates as an ascetic chapel of the Monastery of Timios Stavros, housing three nuns. In the past, it was a coven for men. It was founded in the 12th century, and the only thing that remains from the old monastery is the chapel of Agios Nikolaos o Neos, as well as the ruins of it. It was declared as a Byzantine monument in 1979, and became a nunnery. The village also houses other churches, such as the those of Agios Theodoros (built in 1973, firstly opened on September, 1976), the cemetery church of Agios Ioannis (built in 1900) which celebrates every 29th of August, and the chapel of Profitis Ilias, which was renovated in 1997.