Prastos is a traditional village built amphitheatrically at an altitude of 750m. The village has many tower-houses, stone-houses and notable churches. It is surrounded by a forest with fir and chestnut trees. It was once the capital of Tsakonia and as a result it preserves its local architectural style.
Many of the tower-houses built during the 17th and 18th century are still preserved. The church of Taxiarches (18th century), the 17th century’s church of Agios Dimitrios (St. Dimitrios), as well as the church of Panagia (Holy Mary) –the metropolis of the village– were also built in the same period. During the Medieval era, the population surpassed the 9,000 residents, however, today the village is only inhabited during the summer months. Next to the village there are watermills in the stream of Mazia. Prastos was built in this steep location for defensive purposes and more specifically in order to protect itself from the pirates.
In 1826 the village was completely burned down by Ibrahim and as a result it was evacuated and eventually deserted.