Peloponnisos SearchDESTINATIONS FOR EVERY TRAVELER

Spilia

COUNTY: Messinia MUNICIPALITY: Trifylia

Clouds
25ºC

Population

500 - 1,000

Infrastracture

Medical Centre

Distance from nearest city

0-10km

TL;DR

One of the largest villages of Trifylias Municipality, built on a fertile valley and very near Kyparissia. It has two festivals, in August 6 and 23.

Spilia village is one of the largest villages of Trifylias Municipality. Its built in the valley between Aigaleio and Kyparissiako mountains, 5 kilometres from Kyparissia, founded by the three Bitsika brothers in 1833. Its name means cave, and it was named after a small cave near Skandalis stream. Its residents are mainly engaged in agriculture, since the valley the village is built in is very fertile. Spylia is one of the few Greek villages to be built according to the street plan of 1924.

In the 6th of August, the village celebrates the Cod Festival and in the 23rd of August, a great festival to honour the Dormition of the Mother of God. In the village school is a monument dedicated to the children killed by a German land mine in the 2nd of March 1941. Around the village are two interesting chapels, one dedicated to Agios Nektarios and one to Agios Georgios. The first church of the village was founded in 1874 and the last one was built in 1954.

On the village's northeast, 1 kilometre away, was a small settlement called Redemiri, but nothing remains of it today.