Sparta’s Court Hall is in Lykourgos Street and it is a beautiful neoclassical building. Its construction started in 1837 and it was completed two years later. At first the building used to house the administrative services of Laconia prefecture.
It is one of the oldest buildings in the history of modern Greece and one of the rare examples of architecture during the Othon rule. Initially, it was a two-storey building, but the second floor was added later on its southern part. The different interventions made in the course of time caused serious alterations, such as the one in 1950 when an addition with a raised room made of concrete was built in the center of the building and skylights where placed on three of the building’s sides. The façade of the two-pitched roof is decorated with two pediments and a waved cornice. The ground floor is simple without decorative elements. Despite the alterations the Court Hall still remains an exquisite building.