The Seminary building of Tripoli was built in 1858 and it is a donation of Dimitris and Maria Galinos. It is at Aneksartisias square next to an edifice, which was formerly the Town Hall of Arcadia. Together they form a harmonious ensemble. The Seminary was established in 1858 and the studies spread over five years.
During King Otto’s reign in Greece, the clergy demanded that the palace let them provide ecclesiastical education. The conditions reigning in the Greek Revolution had deprived the church from educated clergymen and this void had to be filled immediately. So, after long and hard deliberations, they decided to found three seminary schools, a project realized 25 years later, in 1858.
In an article, the local newspaper “Veltiosis” quoted: “Every Greek heart and every Christian orthodox was exhilarated to hear that seminary schools are to be founded in the independent state of Greece. Three seminary schools will be built in the continent, the islands and in Peloponnese. By royal decree every see is appointed. The See of Peloponnese is to be in the most central, sane and dense-populated city, the city of Tripolis…”.
(Veltiosis, 14 January 1858)