In 1826, the people of Mani built a wall to defend against the Turks, in the community called Verga which is 7 kilometres east of Kalamata. The wall was long and thin, extending through the whole length of the canyon of Almyros.
The people of Mani fortified a thin strip of land with a width around 1700 metres, between mountain and sea. The area was called gate of Mani, and they defended it against the Turks successfully in the battle that took place in June of 1826. The Turkish army retreated after suffering heavy casualties.
The wall reached a height of 2 metres and its length reached 1500 metres. Two towers helped the defenders in their battle. Today, few pieces of the wall remain, and only one of the towers. Parts of the wall's ruins are inside Verga.
Entrance is free.