Corinth is the third biggest city of Peloponnese and the capital of the prefecture of Corinthia. Located on the northeastern tip of Peloponnese, Corinth not only is close to the Canal which connects the Aegean sea with the Ionian sea, but is also an important harbor. Its patron saint is Paul the Apostle and its emblem the statue of the winged horse Pegasus boasting on the Elefterios Venizelos plaza, known as “Floisvos”. Corinth is 7.9km from Loutraki (a cosmopolitan resort known for its therapeutic baths and its casinos), 4.4km from Akrocorinthos (the imposing rock above the archeological site, known also as the residence of God Helios) and 7.8km from ancient Corinth.
Corinth was inhabited as early as the Neolithic period, fact proven by the 5,000-year-old settlement in the region. It was one of the biggest, wealthiest and sumptuous city-states in antiquity playing a major role in the Peloponnesian war. A powerful city that was dominant from the 9th until the 5th century. Conquered by the Romans in 146 BC, Corinth experienced a second thriving period, as the roman emperors rebuilt the city and made its two harbours the most important commercial and transport hub between the East and the West. In 52 AD Paul the Apostle came to the city to preach Christianity. He founded one of the biggest Christian communities in Greece. Corinth’s medieval history is strongly connected to Akrokorinthos, which is the biggest and oldest fortress in Peloponnese, built on a rocky hill at an altitude of 575m. In 1210, Leon Sgouros committed suicide, jumping off the battlements on his horse so as to not surrender to the Franks who, finally, managed to seize the fortress and to hold it until 1460. However, the strategic position of Corinth was so coveted that it suffered numerous attacks by the Goths, the Slavs, the Franks, the Knights of Rhodes, the Venetians, the Turks and the pirates. In 1858, the old city of Corinth, built close to the ancient one, was levelled by an earthquake. So the new city was built southeast of the ancient harbor of Lechaion, at the coast of the Corinthian gulf.
The absolute must-sees in Corinth are: 1) The archeological site of ancient Corinth where you will see the monolithic columns of the temple of Apollo, the Roman Agora and the speaking place from where Paul the Apostle addressed the Corinthians. A small archeological museum, built close to the ruins, accommodates samples of the high quality pottery of Corinth, findings from the Asclepeion in the city, roman statues and mosaics. 2) Diolkos, the paved trackway which connected the Corinthian bay to Saronic bay. Ships and cargo were pulled on this trackway so as to avoid circumventing the Peloponnese. Part of the diolkos, which is parallel to the Canal, is visible today. 3) The harbours Kenchreai and Lechaion of Corinth. The first, on Corinthian gulf, was artificial and protected by walls. Equipped with naval premises it was in use for more than 2.600 years. The second harbor was on the Saronic gulf and was divided into two parts: the military and the commercial part. But, due to landslides and the elevation of the sea level, the Lechaion port is almost submerged and very few vestiges remain visible. From this port Paul the Apostle left the city. 4) The folklore museum, an interesting site accommodated in a modern building down town, comprises rich folkloric and historic material from the city of Corinth and the wider area. 5) The ecclesiastical museum across the Apostolos Pavlos church. It has many impressive findings from the first years of the Christian community founded by Paul the Apostle. 6) Apostolos Pavlos church, patron saint of Corinth. An example of ecclesiastical architecture based on Agia Sophia in Constantinople. 7) The Zabanis building on Aristotelous street built in 1929 entirely with wood, according to the American earthquake resistant design of structures. 8) Panagi Tsaldari plaza, known as Perivolakia. A big green open space ideal for walking or relaxing. 9) Elefteriou Venizelou plaza, known as Floisvos. Adorned by the bronze statue of Pegasus, the plaza is the meeting place for locals and foreigners. There are many cafes and its location by the sea is ideal for mellow walks.