The monastery of Gola is on a side of Taygetus, on an altitude of 100 metres, near Goranous, in Gola location.
It is a relic of great beauty, made in the Byzantine style. It was founded in 1632 according to a sign inside the monastery, and it was destroyed after the Revolution of 1821. In 1952, after many efforts by both its own Fundraising Committee and the Metropolis, it was renovated and now in working condition, as an independent monastery; it used to be a dependency to the Monastery of Zermpitsa.
The church is one-aisled, with a dome, and all the markings of the Athos style. One interesting characteristic of the church are the depictions of ancient philosophers and poets on its western wall. This is greatly interesting for this part of Greece, since six of the seven churches bearing images of ancient Greece are found in northern Greece, and this is the only one in the southern part of the country.