A seaside village 15 kilometres from Kalamata.
The village knew great growth during the Venetian rule, and afterwards, during the Turkish rule. It was the port of Zarnata and the seat of all the Beys of Mani. In 1659, a Turkish fleet appeared in the port of the village, demanding a tribute from the people of Mani but they refused and destroyed it.
In 1819 was complied in the village of Kitries a treaty bearing the same name, under which the three great families of Mani, the Troupakis, the Mavromichalis, and the Grigorakis agreed peace between them to focus on their common enemy, the Turks. In the 8th of May 1821, the National Council was organised in the village, giving Petrobey Mavromichalis the leadership of the local forces. In 1825, the four irregular Bishops were ordeined by the Metropolitan of Zarnata named Gabriel Fragoulis.
The lighthouse of Kitries was built in 1892, having a height of 11 metres. On the village ends the famous Rintomo gorge, exiting on the Santova beach.