The largest sea-side village of East Mani, next to a beautiful beach. It is 41 kilometres from Gytheio and 87 kilometres from Sparta. The name of the village, Kotronas, comes from the Greek word kotrona, which means boulder; the area has many large rocks and boulders, and the wonderful beaches usually have either pebbles or sand. The village is built in a calm bay, protected by the northern winds, and connected with the islet Skopia (watchtower) with a peninsula of 300 metres.
Shells and burials in jars have been found in the area, as well as the ruins of the church of Agios Nikolaos, with a few traces of murals. Other archaeological finds of the area are ceramics and stone axes, pointing to the area being occupied during the Early Helladic, Middle Helladic and Mycenaean ages.
In the marine region of the ancient city of Tefthroni, a city of the Eleftherolacones (the people of the Koinon of Free Laconians), that was submerged under the waters after a large earthquake in the 3rd century. It had two acropolises, one on the peninnsula and one in the castle of the Loukadika. In the ancient city was also the famous Naia spring.
On the beach, there is the bust of Ioannis Demestichas the Makedonomachos, while on the settlement Alepou (fox) is the tower of the family.
Behind Kotronas is the monastery of the Saviour, built in 1500, with great murals. Every year, in the 6th of August, a great festival is organised, held on the port's jetty. The residents of Kotronas are engaged in fishing, agriculture and the tourism industry.