Kryoneri is a village in the region of Corinthia, located at an altitude of 740 meters above sea level, and it has a population of 870 residents. It is mountainous, and its old name was “Matzani”, meaning a village or pasture between two rivers. It was given its contemporary name in 1954. The village is amphitheatrically built, and it has a view of the Corinthian and Saronic Gulfs. The river Elisson flows through Kryoneri, springing from the mountain of Vesiza to the southwest of the village, ultimately running into Kiato of Corinthia. The village has been inhabited since very old times, and many archeological findings of the Mycenaean period as well as even older times have been unearthed there. Kryoneri was also active in the Greek Revolution of 1821. The main church of the area is that of Agia Triada, built in 1880. In the past, Kryoneri used to be a popular destination for people, as Tuberculosis was a general danger and many people preferred the clean and healthy climate of the area. The village also has many fresh-water springs. It houses the famous observatory of Kryoneri, which was constructed in 1973, and had its telescope installed in 1975, one of the biggest in the Balkans. The observatory also has a guest-house to accommodate astronomers. Kryoneri's residents are mainly occupied with agriculture, and to a much lesser extent, animal husbandry. The Monastery of Lechova is located near Kryoneri, at an altitude of 900 meters.
Kryoneri of Corinthia
COUNTY: Corinthia MUNICIPALITY: Sikyona