The village sits on an altitude of 365 metres and has about 100 residents. It is part of the Lakkochoria or Lakkoi, a group of villages that were founded by the Crusaders of the Catalan Company of the East in Messinia.
The village has a few well-preserved churches; Zoodochos Pigi, Saint Nicholas and John the Baptist. Two towers also fall in that category. The first one, the tower of Koutifaris-Aloupidis was built by Tzanetos Koutifaris, the first Bey of Mani. The second tower, called the tower of Mavrikios, was built in 1824 by Mavrikios, the Kodjabashis of the village.
The nunnery of Androumpevitsa is only 1 kilometre away, a well-preserved building of the Byzantine era, with surviving murals painted in the 13th century. Next to the older church of the nunnery is a newer one, built in 1704, with impressive pictures.