Metamorphosi is a lovely village with 560 inhabitants built on the foothill of mount Kalohera at an altitude of 120m, 5km from Molaoi and 78km from Sparti. Before 1961 the village was called Katavothra (sinkhole) because of a natural hole in the ground outside the village where the rainwater used to end up. A cave called “Trypa tou Voria” is nearby, many water mills recently restored are in Pigadia area south of the village and lovely chapels are strewn in a beautiful landscape, such as the chapels of Agia Marina and Agios Grigorios.
In the village, part of which is built on top of caves there is the Byzantine church of Agios Georgios built with marbles and Roman columns. During the Greek War of Independence it was used as a Kryfo Scholeio (a secret school), but it was destroyed, so it was rebuilt in 1922. Its incalculable icons and other holy objects were given to museums in 1967. The new church is dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ and every year there is a grand fete on July 16 on the feast of Agia Marina.