Facing the village Tolo, across a short span of water, is a small, uninhabited island called Daskalio. On that island stand the ruins of a Venetian fortress, built in the 17th century.
Tolo was used as a port by the Venetian navy for resupply, up to 1718. During the Turkish rule, on the island's church called Zoodochos Pigi (meaning, lifegiving spring) was run a "Kryfo Scholio" or secret school; an illegal underground school that taught the Greek language and Greek orthodox religion.
Entrance to the fortress is free, and despite its isolation, access is easy.