Mati (meaning “Eye”) is a village in the region of Corinthia, located at an altitude of 841 meters above sea level. It is built to the southwest of Corinth, bordering with the municipality of Arcadia, on the mountain of Mavrovounio. The village's residents are mainly occupied with agriculture and animal husbandry. Its old name was Gioza, and it got its contemporary one in 1928. It has about 320 residents. Mati has been known since ancient times, and according to Greek mythology, Hercules opened up its sinkholes so that the villagers could be rid of the swamps in the area. Its catacombs, whose waters run into the lake of Feneos are preserved to this day. The church of Agios Georgios, which is made of stone, as well as the chapel of Profitis Ilias, are located in the village. The village is built in such a way that it offers a marvelous view to the meadows of Feneos, and is surrounded by a verdant landscape which offers a feeling of serenity.
COUNTY: Corinthia MUNICIPALITY: Sikyona