The post-byzantine church of Agios Panteleïmonas is built on a hill of the mountain Nyfitsa. It is thought that the church was formerly dedicated to Agios Nikolaos. Yet, it is not known when or why it has changed its name. It is presumed that the former church of Agios Nikolaos was a monastery church, according to an inscription, and that it was donated to the community of Clenia. Its inhabitants, then, dedicated the church to Agios Panteleïmonas by putting an icon of his in the iconostasis.The year of its construction is unknown, but the Islamic bow above the entrance informs the visitor that it was built during the Ottoman empire. The church was renovated and painted by Marinos Kakavas in 1593, as states the inscription extant till nowadays. The painter of holy icons followed the Cretan School and his paintings resemble the technique of portable icons.
Agios Panteleimonas Church
COUNTY: Corinthia MUNICIPALITY: Corinth