The village is at an altitude of 100m with approximately 320 residents. The region was firstly inhabited during the Turksih rule, as most of the residents came here after the destruction of Psara. Some of the first residents came also from Kythera after its destruction by the Turks in 1770. Several archaeological findings that were brought to light show the existence of an ancient coastal town. On Charakias beach there is the new-built church of Agia Pelagia (St. Pelagia) in an Aegean order. Another notable church is Panagia (Holy Mary) Myrtidiotissa that is celebrated on September 23rd with a big festival.